Fluorography allows early detection of various abnormalities in the lungs and other chest organs.
Therefore, this method of diagnosis is considered one of the main ones, both in the presence of suspicious signs and for conducting preventive examinations.
Fluorography is a mandatory planned examination method that allows you to identify many complex and serious diseases
Everyone knows that this examination is based on the effects of X-rays, and many women are concerned about the question of whether x-rays can be done during menstruation, how this can affect the body on critical days and on the reliability of the results of the survey.
Efficacy and safety of the survey
When conducting a fluorographic examination, X-ray radiation is used in small volumes (from 0.05 to 0.5 mSv). As a result of its passage through the human body, they receive a shadow image of the chest organs in a picture or computer screen, which allows detecting foreign objects in them from 5 mm in size.
Therefore, with a preventive purpose, experts recommend it be held once a year.
Sometimes the passage of a planned physical examination or the appointment of this type of examination coincides with the critical days for a woman, and she is not sure whether X-ray can be done during menstruation.
Fluorography during menstruation - all the pros and cons
Gynecological well-being is an important moment in a woman’s life, especially when periodic or permanent problems arise in this area.
Therefore, the question of the need to undergo fluorography during menstruation is extremely important.
On the effectiveness of the method and the accuracy of the results of the survey, the monthly have no effect.
If a woman has no problems with the sexual, endocrine, and hematological spheres, fluorography during menstruation is done without asking unnecessary questions.
But at the same time, the critical days individually occur in each woman and can be accompanied by a decrease in immunity, fluctuations in the level of estrogen and progesterone in the blood, and a significant deterioration in health.
Whether it is possible to undergo fluorography during menstruation depends on the severity of adverse symptoms and the functional state of the reproductive organs.
If you can postpone the procedure for another day, you should use it.
When fluorography is shown even on critical days
Fluorography is required if there is an urgent need.
These conditions include:
- the appearance of pulmonary tuberculosis or other serious diseases of the respiratory system, as well as neoplasms of the chest,
- contact with a person who has been diagnosed with tuberculosis, signs of it are marked or other special tests are necessary (Mantoux test or Diaskintest in a child) indicating the likelihood of infection with Mycobacterium tuberculosis,
- if someone from a relative or friend has recently been treated for tuberculosis,
- living in an area where there is an outbreak of tuberculosis.
In this situation, the TB doctor or therapist may insist on an immediate examination - and rightly so.
Tuberculosis is a complex and dangerous disease, therefore it is important to conduct a timely examination.
Fluorography is prohibited: when and why?
But there are situations when monthly fluorography not carried out, especially if this examination is prophylactic.
These include the following categories of women and girls:
If menstruation is accompanied by severe pain, blood loss and exhaustion
Efficacy and safety of the survey
Fluorography examines the chest, heart, mammary glands. With its help, physicians get a shadow image of the studied organs on a computer screen or photographic film. To do this, use X-rays in a small volume.
Fluorography allows detecting foreign objects in organs as small as 5 mm, therefore it is used as a preventive measure. The radiation power applied to it is less than during radiography or X-ray.
But preventive examination is usually done once a year. A menstruation in women is for the entire period of 12, and sometimes these events coincide. If the woman is important gynecological well-being, especially when there are problems in this area, the question of whether you can undergo fluorography during menstruation is relevant.
What influences the possibility of the procedure?
During the procedure, which takes no more than a few minutes, the patient receives a small dose of radiation. The radiation to which the body is exposed from natural sources for the year is more than 50 times higher. In many respects, this determines whether fluorography can be done during menstruation. Most doctors believe that it doesn’t bear any noticeable harm to the body, no matter what day of the cycle it is performed.
But you can not ignore the fact that menstruation is dependent on extraneous influence. This is not only the process of updating the endometrium, but also the selection of the follicle, and the production of blood components to replace its losses, changes in the hormonal effects on the body.
Fluorography during menstruation
When X-ray examines the state of the areas of the body, located above the waist. That is, there is no direct impact on the reproductive system and hormone-producing organs.
If a woman does not have problems in the sexual, endocrine and hematological areas, but there is an urgent need, fluorography during menstruation is done without asking questions. But still it is desirable that the study accounted for their completion. So the load on the body will be the smallest, because hormones are gradually restored, most of the stocks of lost blood replenished.
There are two reasons for the permissibility of manipulating critical days:
- You can do fluorography during menstruation at their end also because the mammary glands, which carry the effects of radiation on themselves, also return to normal. If physicians are interested in their health, at this stage of the cycle it is already possible to obtain reliable information about it.
- You can do x-rays during menstruation and in order to exclude the possibility of pregnancy. In this condition, for the sake of prevention, research is usually not prescribed, since radiation damages the fetus and is capable of interrupting its development.
Fluorography is prohibited: why?
There are circumstances that can make fluorography during menstruation undesirable. These include both internal and external causes.
Why you can not do X-ray during menstruation is determined by the woman’s plans for the future, her age and her health condition.
And in addition to a significant loss of her woman will receive anemia.
In addition to well-being, fluorography has the following contraindications for menstruation:
Planning a pregnancy in the next cycle. The follicle is excreted in the ovary already at the stage of completion of the last menstrual period, that is, directly during critical days. In order to avoid problems with the subsequent development of the fetus, it is necessary to exclude any negative impact on the egg being formed. The meager dose of radiation that the body receives during an examination also applies to such factors.
- Postpartum period. At this stage, it is important to restore the reproductive system. For a long time the body endured serious stress associated with pregnancy, then a huge test, which is childbirth. Fluorography during menstruation can disrupt the natural process of recovery, the return of the hormonal background to the previous stability. This is all the more important when a woman is breastfeeding. Radiation is not useful for both milk production and its quality. Baby radiation received in addition to natural sources is not needed.
- Adolescence patient. Why you can not do x-rays during menstruation, in this case should not cause confusion. This examination is in principle unacceptable until the girl reaches 15 years of age. But even at that age, her reproductive and endocrine systems did not achieve stability in their development. Menstruation, as a rule, still irregular, may be accompanied by pain and feeling unwell. This is due to hormonal jumps, especially strong on critical days. Irradiation and psychological stress caused by the procedure can make the girl even more serious failure in this area.
We recommend to read the article and find out what can not be during menstruation. You will learn about the possibility of sports loads, sex life, taking medications and carrying out cosmetic procedures on critical days.
Impact on the blood
Fluorography, carried out during menstruation, can interfere with the normal process of blood formation. Since radiation affects the area where the spleen is located, the ribs in which the bone marrow is located, the formation of many components of the biological fluid is under its short-term influence. It is in these parts of the human body, as well as in the lymph nodes that red blood cells, lymphocytes, platelets and plasma are formed.
In order for all components of blood to be of good quality, it is necessary to exclude any impact on them. Potentially, radiation can cause changes in cancer cells in cells. And the intensity with which the hematopoietic system works during menstruation makes them most likely.
And although these are theoretical calculations, it is better not to check their practical value for yourself, if possible avoiding the passage of fluorography on critical days.
What to fear pregnant?
The fact that pregnancy should not interfere, they know all women. This applies equally to drugs, bad habits and medical manipulations. Fluorography is also included in the list of factors that can adversely affect pregnancy.
A little differently, everything happens when the fluorography is completed before the delay of menstruation. At this stage, the fetus is too small to talk about anomalies in its formation. It is still on its way to the uterus, therefore the effect of ionizing radiation on it is minimal and not so scary. If it nevertheless happened and significantly affected the cells of the embryo, nature will most likely take care of everything herself, and the pregnancy will be interrupted at a very early stage.
If fluorography is carried out during menstruation, the woman should be clearly aware of the possible consequences. Sometimes they are completely excluded. In some cases it is worth to wait with the survey. But if there is no urgency in it, then it is better to do a photofluorography after the critical days, when the probability of pregnancy is excluded, the hormones are stable, and far from ovulation.