If there is discomfort in the lumbar region and lower abdomen during menstruation, this is considered normal, since the development of pain is associated with impaired production of sex hormones during this period. After the end of menstruation, the pain gradually goes away and does not disturb the woman.
However, there are cases when, after menstruation, the lower abdomen and lower back are pulled, and various discomfort is felt: nausea, dizziness, weakness, chills, etc. Why is this happening? What is the reason for the appearance of these symptoms? There can be many reasons: some are completely harmless, while others may serve as symptoms of the development of gynecological ailments.
When a woman notices that the pain in the lower abdomen does not go away after the menstruation, she begins to sound the alarm, especially if this symptom is not characteristic of her body. There can be a lot of reasons. The most innocuous are:
The period of ovulation, it falls on the 11-17 day of the menstrual cycle and can last for two days. Depending on the individual properties of the organism, ovulation may not manifest at all or may be accompanied by various painful sensations and slight spot bleeding. During this period, a white discharge appears that looks like egg white without a characteristic odor.
Premenstrual tension syndrome. As a rule, 2–10 days before the onset of menstruation, a woman begins to experience a lot of unpleasant symptoms that significantly reduce her quality of life: nausea, depression, mood swings, pain in the lumbar region, lower abdomen, chills, weakness, and an increased sense of smell. To date, the cause of PMS is unknown, but abortions, childbirth, psychological problems, and infectious diseases are considered the most common provocateurs.
Pregnancy. When a woman notices that she pulls the lower abdomen after menstruation and feels sick, it is possible that fertilization has occurred. This symptom is characteristic of early fertilization, it is associated with the attachment of the embryo to the walls of the uterus.
If the uterus is after menstruation, various infectious or chronic ailments may occur in the female body. Diseases can be not only gynecological, but also common:
Hormonal disbalance. If problems are observed in the endocrine system, the production of sex hormones can be significantly impaired, which will lead to discomfort.
Diseases of urological nature can cause a lot of discomfort. These diseases include: kidney stones, urethritis, pyelonephritis, cystitis, various inflammatory processes in the urinary area, as well as congenital or acquired pathologies.
Diseases of the digestive tract. The gastrointestinal tract is located close to the genitals, so it is very difficult for a woman to determine for herself what her particular concerns are. Only a qualified specialist can diagnose the disease with proper examination of the patient. Nevertheless, there are a number of symptoms that will help determine stomach and intestinal ailments on their own: nausea, diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, severe flatulence.
When a woman notices the appearance of a number of uncomfortable symptoms: pain in the abdomen, bleeding, nausea, weakness, fever, chills, gynecological diseases are the most common causes. Detection of these diseases at an early stage allows for timely measures aimed at their treatment and prevention of complications.
Endometritis is an inflammation that is localized in the area of the uterine lining. This disease arises due to various surgical procedures: abortion, curettage of the uterus, after childbirth, hysteroscopy, installation of the intrauterine device.
The disease manifests itself quite sharply: the temperature increases to 39 degrees, there is a strong weakness, chills, the performance is completely disturbed, and blood or purulent discharges start to flow from the genital tract. Endometritis can cause serious complications: infertility or inability to carry a baby, adhesions, purulent endometritis, menstrual disorders, sepsis.
Endometriosis is a non-inflammatory disorder characterized by the proliferation of endometrial cells outside the uterus. This disease is considered to be common, it occurs in women aged 30-60 years.
Symptoms include: the appearance of spotting, severe pain in the lower abdomen, giving in the lower back and spine, the appearance of discomfort during and after intercourse, menstrual disorders, prolonged and abundant menstruation.
Adnexitis is an inflammatory process that occurs in the area of the fallopian tubes and ovaries. At risk are women aged 20-30 years. The factors causing adnexitis are abortions, endoscopy and hysteroscopy of the uterus, the installation of the intrauterine device, infectious diseases. The development of this disease begins with an increase in body temperature and the appearance of severe abdominal pain.
Polycystic ovarian disease is a disease that is characterized by a complete change in the function and structure of the ovaries. As a rule, the disease occurs due to disorders in the endocrine system. However, experts do not exclude a hereditary factor and stressful situations.
Uterine fibroids. In the reproductive age, this disease is very common. It is a neoplasm of benign nature, which arises from the uterine walls. Fibromyoma is characterized by the following symptoms: bloody bleeding, appearing in the middle of the menstrual cycle, pulling pain in the abdomen, as well as heavy and prolonged menstruation.
As a rule, a pulling pain in the lower abdomen after menstruation does not cause serious problems for a woman, so she lives a normal life without consulting a specialist.
Ignoring such a symptom leads to the development of serious pathologies that are very difficult to treat. Each woman who has noticed the appearance of any discomfort in her feelings should undergo a full examination, which will make the correct diagnosis and prescribe a proper treatment.
Natural causes of pain after menstruation include the following:
- Hereditary genetic predisposition. Often there is such that menstrual pain is transmitted to women from generation to generation. If the mother, grandmother or other relatives of the girl suffered from pain after menstruation, then this problem can be transmitted at the genetic level.
- Ovulation. This process is a rupture of the follicle and the exit of the germ cell, ready for fertilization. Ovulation occurs on the 14th day of the female sexual cycle, that is, a few days after menstruation. Some girls feel pain during ovulation and this is the norm.
- Pregnancy. On average, the duration of the female sexual cycle is 28 days. But it often happens that its duration varies from 30 to 40 days. In this case, ovulation most often occurs before pregnancy, unprotected sexual intercourse takes place, the egg cell is fertilized, the embryo attaches to the uterine wall and therefore the woman experiences pain.
- Hormonal disruptions. Due to the influence of external factors, such as stress, adverse climatic conditions, physical activity, hormonal disruptions occur in a woman's body. They can lead to the fact that after menstruation the lower abdomen hurts.
There are several pathological causes of pain after menstruation. Usually in such situations the pain is stronger and sharper.
A number of pathologies preceded by pain in the lower abdomen after menstruation:
- Diseases of the urinary system. An infectious disease such as cystitis is often accompanied by similar pain. This disease can occur due to prolonged hypothermia of the genital organs, non-compliance with the rules of personal hygiene. The infectious disease spreads rapidly throughout the body and causes symptoms such as pain when urinating, frequent urge to use the toilet.
- Diseases of the reproductive system. If you have a lower abdomen after menstruation, then gynecological diseases may occur. These include endometriosis - the pathological proliferation of the tissues of the inner lining of the uterus, endometritis - inflammation of the uterine membrane, vulvitis - inflammatory processes localized to the external genital organs, adnexitis - inflammation of the female genital organs (fallopian tubes, ovaries).
- Ectopic pregnancy. This pathological condition develops when the egg is fertilized outside the uterus and the embryo develops there. It is necessary to get rid of such pregnancy, otherwise it can lead to dangerous consequences.
In the video about the causes of abdominal pain during menstruation:
When to see a doctor
To avoid the health consequences, it is necessary to consult a gynecologist in time, who will determine whether, after menstrual pain, is a sign of a pathological process.
A number of symptoms, in case of which it is necessary to immediately visit a specialist:
- Nausea. If sick after menstruation, then we can say that there are problems associated with the gastrointestinal tract.
- General weakness. Malaise, drowsiness, irritability can also be signs of a lack of nutrients that provide the body with the necessary energy.
- Vaginal discharge containing pus, large amounts of mucus, dark blood clots. If this phenomenon is observed after menstruation and is accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen, then an urgent need to visit a doctor.
- Permanent uncontrollable hunger and thirst. These phenomena are signs of nutritional and fluid deficiencies.
- Unpleasant sensations in the mammary glands.
- Sharp rise in body temperature to 38 degrees or higher.
Why pulls the lower abdomen in the middle of the cycle as during menstruation? Read the article about the causes of abdominal pain, the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, ovulation, pregnancy, gynecological diseases.
What painkillers can you drink during menstruation? Details here.
Thus, aching pain in the lower abdomen after the end of menstruation can be both a normal phenomenon and a sign of the development of any disease in the female body. To find out if such pain is normal, you need to contact a specialist who will conduct an additional comprehensive examination. It will help to identify existing diseases, and then the doctor will prescribe a course of treatment.
Why pulls in the lower abdomen after menstruation: causes and treatment
Abdominal pain after menstruation is observed in many females and provoking factors are also a large number.
During menstruation, there is a rhythmic contraction of the uterus, because when a woman's pain receptors are extremely susceptible, she will, in combination with pain, react to any contraction.
Moreover, the hormone content plays an extremely important role in the condition of a woman.
When an increase in the level of estrogen occurs in the body, menstruation will become extremely unpleasant, long and intense, but this is often observed in females after 30 years.
The emergence of various painful symptoms after menstruation in each case individually.
Since the duration of menstruation varies with each woman, she is able to last 4-7 days.
In addition, the woman has symptoms alone or in combination, this also applies to the intensity of menstruation.
Periodically, a woman feels that she has a lower abdominal pain after menstruation. This is observed as a result of normal body function.
In this case, the symptoms are not considered critical and do not require any medical intervention.
- Ovulation. The maturation of the bulb with a further release of the egg. Lasts from 12 hours to 2 days. Sometimes this process is associated with pain, scarce bleeding. Pulling sensations during ovulation begin at about 12-18 days.
- Premenstrual syndrome. Basically, discomfort is noted a week before the start of the menstrual cycle. But in women with cycle instability, who have suffered inflammatory or viral diseases, they can face cyclical failures. Monthly come with a delay or come early.
- Pregnancy. After menstruation, the lower abdomen and lumbar region during the time of fertilization. This is associated with a gradual growth of the embryo. In connection with the enhanced synthesis of proteins, the woman feels spasmodic. Further, other symptoms of pregnancy become expressive: toxicosis, delayed menstrual cycle, pain in the mammary glands. The lower abdomen can pull only 1 trimester of pregnancy.
- Hormonal imbalance. Due to the improper functioning of the endocrine system, the hormone content changes dramatically. It is possible to stop the condition through the use of special medicines.
Appears as a result of the use of oral contraception, the occurrence of various kinds of diseases, deviations from the diet.
After menstruation, the lower abdomen also results in various pathologies. Unpleasant sensations are triggered by failures in the field of gynecology and other diseases. For example:
- Diseases of the genitourinary system. Often they are provoking factors, because of which pulls the lower abdomen. Diseases are associated with an increase in temperature, constant urge to urinate, discomfort during it, indisposition. During kidney damage, pains are concentrated mainly in the lumbar region.
- Diseases of the digestive tract. As a result of the close proximity of the gastrointestinal tract and the reproductive system in some cases it is not possible to establish the source of the pain without visiting a specialist.
Causes of discomfort: an inflamed appendicitis, intestinal obstruction, intoxication or an infectious disease.
When a woman after menstruation pulls the abdomen, it is necessary to exclude gynecological diseases.
The treatment that was not started in time is capable of provoking the occurrence of adverse effects or impairment of the reproductive function in the body.
Lower abdominal discomfort after menstruation is typical for such diseases:
- Endometriosis. Is an abnormal pathological increase in the size of the cells of the muscle layer of the uterus. At this time, the woman is experiencing pain, which is increasing after an intimate relationship. Symptoms of the disease include intense bleeding. Often the result of the use of hormonal drugs for an extended period of time.
- Vulvitis The inflammatory process, which is localized on the mucous membrane of the vagina. It often occurs after an infection and sexually transmitted diseases, as a result of the growth of the fungus. It is characterized by special secretions of a gray shade which have a purulent origin. There is a burning, itching, swelling.
- Adnexitis. Inflammation that affects the tubes of the uterus and ovaries. Associated with discharge and heat.
- Cyst in the ovary. Formed as a result of failures in the bloodstream inside the ovarian follicle. Leads to a gradual increase in the corpus luteum and pressure on the organs. In many situations it is not dangerous, but it needs the supervision of a doctor.
- Malignant neoplasms. The appearance and formation of cancer provokes the occurrence of pain.
If the stomach pulls after menstruation, the pain can manifest itself in completely different ways.
To establish why such discomfort arose, the specialist assesses the complaints, and then carries out a clinical and gynecological examination.
Painful sensations in the lower abdomen after menstruation have the following features:
- Sharp or stupid.
- Whining, pulling, stitching.
- Different intensity.
- Express themselves sporadically or constantly.
- Caused by specific circumstances or appear with general well-being.
Directly pain in the lower abdomen should alert the woman and raise the question of why problems occur.
However, when another symptom is added, you should immediately contact a specialist.
Initially, you should use folk remedies. When this technique did not result, it is necessary to take medication.
Also effective are yoga classes. Such exercises effectively eliminate abdominal pain.
Pain can quickly pass through the process of systematically using oral contraception. Often, oral contraceptives have a healing effect.
To choose the right means, you should consult with your doctor and make the necessary diagnostics.
Other medications that can help. These include drugs, which relax muscles, eliminate cramping and remove pain.
Also helps tea from medicinal plants with a solution of valerian.It has a calming, relaxing effect.
If you experience such pain, you need more time to relax and adhere to bed rest.
A large number of women after menstruation pulls the stomach. The causes are different, and the diagnosis of painful discomfort in some situations is rather difficult.
During the menstrual cycle, uterine contraction occurs. In that situation, if a woman has pain receptors with hypersensitivity, each uterus contraction will be accompanied by intense pain sensations.
An important role is provided by the content of hormones. If there is an increase in the content of a special hormone - estrogen - the period will be much more painful.
When discomfort lasts less than 2–3 days, there is no cause for concern.
When pains begin after each menstrual cycle, that is, constantly, and continue for more than 7 days, you should seek medical help to identify the causes and prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Causes of the lower abdomen after menstruation
There are a lot of factors provoking pain in the lower abdomen after menstruation. Their list includes normal physiological processes, but most often pain syndrome indicates any gynecological abnormality:
- hormonal disorders,
- polycystic ovaries,
- myoma and other uterine tumors,
- genital inflammation,
- abnormal structure of the uterus.
To face a situation when the stomach hurts after menstruation, it is possible and in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (intestinal colitis) and urinary system (cystitis). Painful symptom is accompanied by the development of appendicitis and peritonitis. It is impossible to establish for yourself why a stomach is pulling, therefore, in the event of pain, it is better to consult a doctor. Consider separately the non-pathological and pathological causes of pain at the end of menstruation.
The pain may be the result of some natural processes occurring in the reproductive system of a woman. For non-pathological reasons, doctors include:
- Pregnancy. Successful conception and further development of the embryo make themselves known by the weight of the lower abdomen. Intense protein synthesis responds by cramping. However, pain can only be in the 1st trimester of pregnancy, it refers to the norm.
- Hormonal changes. Malfunctions in the endocrine system affect the level of hormones that are necessary for the smooth functioning of the reproductive organs. The pain is manifested before menstruation. Contraceptive use also causes disturbances in hormone production.
- Unbalanced nutrition. Deviations from a healthy diet cause colic in the intestines and lead to painful symptoms after menstruation.
Pain after menstruation can be a serious problem if there are pathological causes. Pathologies in which a woman has a pain in the lower abdomen after menstruation:
- Endometriosis, or abnormal growth of uterine muscle tissue. Abdominal pain occurs after sexual contact or when taking hormonal drugs that can provoke the growth of the muscle layer.
- Adnexitis. In this disease, inflammation of the ovaries and uterus tubes occurs. An increase in body temperature is added to abdominal pain, specific secretions appear.
- Vulvitis Inflammation of the mucous membrane of the vagina, triggered by infection (venereal diseases). In addition to the pain in the groin, there are grayish secretions, swelling, itching, and burning.
- Ovarian cyst. It develops on the background of blood flow disorders in the ovarian follicle. The corpus luteum increases in size and begins to put pressure on adjacent organs. Treats non-dangerous pathologies, but demands a constant observation of the doctor.
- Oncology. A malignant tumor can be a provocateur that after menstruation pulls the abdomen.
Types of sensations in the lower abdomen after menstruation and associated symptoms
Pain signals in the lower abdomen after menstruation manifest themselves differently and depend on the reasons for them. A woman may feel contractions on the last day or a week later, pain symptoms in the lower back and crotch, increased pain before the onset of acute attacks. From the nervous system appear impotence and fatigue. Other pathological signs are added:
- nausea, vomiting,
- increase in body temperature at the end of menstruation,
- severe headache and dizziness,
- breast swelling and nipple discharge,
- swelling of limbs and weight gain.
To determine the factors of pain in the lower abdomen can be on the basis of external signs (color, structure) of discharge and associated symptoms. With endometriosis, dark-colored blood clots come out, a painful symptom appears during sexual contact, urination and defecation. Adnexitis causes a rise in body temperature and general malaise. Vulvitis provokes the appearance of purulent secretions, itching and swelling of the genitals. In case of myoma there are long pressing pains on the left or on the right, often you want “in a small way”, there are frequent constipations.
A visit to the doctor is the best solution for pain after menstruation. If the pain is pronounced and difficult to tolerate, you can take a strong painkiller, but only as an emergency. Then you need to contact a specialist and be examined. In order to prevent it, it is recommended to balance the diet, try not to be nervous, visit the street more often, take pleasant walks, master yoga.
The choice of medication correlates with the diagnosis made by the patient. If pain is caused by endometriosis, hormonal preparations are used (Jess, Yarin, Tri-Mersey, Rigevidon). Antifungal agents (Metronidazole, McMiror, Terzhinan) help in the fight against vulvitis. When adnexitis used antibacterial drugs (Cefotaxime, Erythromycin, Amoxicillin). Antispasmodics are also used (Spasmalgon, No-shpa).
In folk medicine has its own effective ways to eliminate pain after menstruation. As a rule, it is decoctions and infusions of medicinal herbs. At the first manifestations of pain, it is recommended to drink an infusion of bitter wormwood. Prepare it from 1 tsp. herbs and 1 tbsp. boiling water. Insist 15 minutes, drink half a cup per day for 5 days. Begin to take at the first pain or immediately after menstruation. From the first time the symptom does not go away - you need to drink the infusion course.
Well relieves the pain of herbal tea from chamomile, lemon balm, thyme. For brewing, take equal proportions of herbs, pour boiling water, insist as usual tea. To improve the taste, you can add lemon juice and honey. As an infusion of wormwood, it should be drunk at the first appearance of discomfort. If any of the components of the infusion present allergies, it is worth trying other means.
Faced with discomfort after menstruation, when pulling the stomach and there is pain, you do not need to diagnose yourself. Reproductive health requires careful and competent handling of it. Regular visits to the gynecologist will help to avoid serious problems and time to eliminate the negative factors that cause unpleasant symptoms.
Self-cure for this ailment
Everyone at least once in his life engaged in this fascinating activity. This brings the highest sensations of joy, when the pain or symptom can be overcome and the most embarrassed look in the eyes of the doctor when you still have to turn to him.
You can talk a lot about where modern medicine is strong, and where burdock leaf will fit as a compress, but if you have discomfort in the pelvic area, you shouldn’t delay with the definition, as well as with the decision. The reason for this can be a very real pathology that needs to be diagnosed and properly treated as soon as possible. Neither the first nor the second can be done independently.
Of course, you should not immediately sound the alarm, but you will not be superfluous to watch your body more carefully, as well as to consult a specialist.
Related Pain Symptoms
If the monthly ended, and the lower abdomen pulls, this is a clear signal to the fact that it is time to "surrender" to the doctors. At the doctor's office, it is necessary to describe as many of the symptoms and associated sensations that accompany the pulling or aching pain of the abdomen. A woman may complain about such manifestations as:
the backache hurts too,
- the temperature rises
- mammary glands become sore and aching with aching pain, etc.
All of the above should be carefully monitored, as this will help in the process of diagnosis.
At the reception of the diagnostician, first of all, it is necessary to indicate the nature of the pain: is it constant or periodic? What is acute or dull, aching, pulling or sticking in intensity? If this is not enough to build a clear picture, then the doctor may prescribe a complete gynecological examination by ultrasound of the pelvic organs. Do not be afraid to talk about this problem, since any disease is easier to defeat at the beginning of its development.
Pregnancy and feeding period
The reasons for which the lower abdomen hurts women after menstruation may be many. And from this list pregnancy and breastfeeding cannot be excluded. Sharp hormonal changes and endometrial conditions during this period usually rule out the appearance of menstruation. But often such changes occur gradually, accompanied by bloody discharge for 2−4 months. It is easy to take them for menstrual. Moreover, if a woman does not know about her position, then the pulling pains in the area of the uterus will cause her anxiety.
Another possible developmental option for pregnancy that causes abdominal pain may be a lack of progesterone and, as a result, an abortion that has begun. If the day when menstrual flow should begin, breakthrough bleeding occurs, then this is a clear sign of threatened abortion. Progesterone serves to maintain the tone of the genital organ, not allowing it to contract, but if it is not produced enough, then the uterus is reduced.
There is a detachment of the ovum, and the hematoma resulting from this process is emptied, causing blood discharge. The woman takes them for menstruation, after which the pain comes.
Possible pathologies and diseases
Pulling pain in the pelvic area in women can occur due to the pathology of the urinary system. Pyelonephritis, bacteriuria, and cystitis most often serve as sources of pain, during which the lower abdomen can ache, pull, become immensely heavy. Ultrasound examination of the bladder and kidneys, as well as urinalysis, can help diagnose something like this. Additional factors that signal bladder or kidney disease can be:
- urinary incontinence,
- general temperature
Another source of pain can be the intestines. A stool delay of more than three days indicates constipation. In this case, flatulence and bloating are also added to the pulling pains. Pressure in the abdominal cavity occurs when the intestines are filled, which presses against the uterus. This causes unpleasant pulling soreness before and after menstruation. If everything is limited to these symptoms, then most likely you should not worry much. But when the temperature is hanging, you can talk about infection or intoxication. Here you just need to see a doctor.
A common cause of why pulling the belly after menstruation is the formation of a tumor. A peculiar vial of fluid that forms in the ovary can be quite large. This causes pressure on organs that are located nearby, causes ovarian tissue to overstretch. If, after the menstrual period, the loins also hurt, then it's time to make an appointment with a gynecologist to remove all suspicions of this type of tumor. It may well be benign and go through a few months, but the extra risk has not yet brought anyone to good.
But the tumor can be located not only in the ovary. Fibroids or polyps (a tumor directly in the cavity of the reproductive organ) cause, as a rule, sharp, cutting pains.
Brown discharge during menstruation signals the development of endometriosis. In this case, most often, the abdominal wall, fallopian tubes and ovaries are affected due to the proliferation of the endometrium. Less commonly, this occurs in the intestines and adrenal glands. Bleeding occurs not only in the uterus, but also in the affected areas, due to which menstruation becomes more protracted. Together with a brownish tinge of discharge, an increased period of menstruation indicates the development of this type of pathology.
The inflammatory process in the body can also cause abdominal pain during menstruation. It is accompanied by an unusual nature of discharge. An untreated infection or sexually transmitted disease causes inflammation and an increase in the affected organ, causing pain.
The pain increases with movement or during intercourse, and the discharge takes on a yellow tinge and an unpleasant odor. Infection is a fairly common cause of disease today. Not only sexual intercourse can cause it to enter the body. The low level of personal hygiene when visiting public baths and saunas, toilets and showers in the pool can cause many consequences for a person.
The stomach hurts after menstruation during the first months of adolescent girls. Genital organs vary in size, the tone of the uterus changes, hormonal background is unstable. The first periods can be generally painful.
There are even more reasons why when menstruation goes, the lower abdomen hurts, it appears in women at the end of the reproductive period. These include childbirth, abortion, surgery on the uterus or ovaries, as a result of which scars can remain on the genitals. The bend of the uterus and the change in its usual position can also be attributed to the list of causes of discomfort in the lower abdomen. Therefore, after 40 years, women are recommended to be more attentive to their body and to the emergence of new sensations, especially uncomfortable.
On top of that, the lower abdomen on the right can pull even with appendicitis. In this case, delay the treatment to the doctor is prohibited. It is best to call an ambulance.