Excessive secretion of progesterone causes hormonal disorders and leads to disruption of the female reproductive system. To reduce the level of progesterone helps drug therapy, diet, traditional medicine.
To select therapeutic measures, it is necessary to consult a doctor, to be examined, in order to establish the reason for the increased concentration of the substance. Only the treatment of the underlying disease will help normalize hormone levels.
Pathological conditions causing increased secretion of the hormone
Possible causes of excess progesterone:
- yellow body cyst
- malignant ovarian tumors,
- amenorrhea (absence of menstruation),
- menstrual disorders caused by other pathologies,
- uterine bleeding caused by hormonal disruption,
- hormone boosting drugs.
A special group consists of endocrine disorders, as well as diseases of internal organs. Among them:
- pathologies and adrenal dysfunction,
- hypofunction of the thyroid gland,
- insufficient activity of the liver, kidneys.
Despite the fact that progesterone is called the “hormone of pregnancy”, its concentration in the period of carrying a child must meet physiological standards. The excess of permissible values with the simultaneous development of several embryos (multiple pregnancy) has been substantiated. In other cases, an increase in the hormone levels indicates the following pathological processes:
- violation of the formation of the placenta,
- blistering (product of conception, in which instead of an embryo bubbles with liquid form).
To increase the level of progesterone leads to hormonal drugs, including combined contraceptives. Increased secretion of the hormone causes the use of food with a high content of proteins and fats, lack of vitamins A, C. Simultaneous increase in physical activity, stresses, sudden changes in temperature are also among the reasons for the increase in the level of the active substance.
Signs of elevated progesterone
Almost all the physiological systems of the body react negatively to excess levels of the hormone. The following functional impairments manifest themselves:
- decreased performance, lethargy, drowsiness,
- headaches, often migraines,
- breast soreness and engorgement
- blood pressure jumps
- violation of intestinal activity (bloating, constipation),
- excessive sweating
- deterioration of the skin condition (increased fat, acne, hirsutism, oily seborrhea),
- hair structure change (thinning, breakage),
- leg swelling,
- high content of glucose and cholesterol in the blood,
- development of osteoporosis.
In the second, third trimester of pregnancy, an increased level of the hormone is indicated by morning nausea and sharp back pain.
The choice of treatment
Pharmacological agents are prescribed in case of exceeding the maximum concentration of a substance by 1.5 times or more. Traditional medicine is effective, provided that the deviation from the norm is small and short. It is better to reduce the level of progesterone in a natural way:
- reduce the amount of food in the diet that contributes to the activation of hormone secretion and lymphatic and blood circulation in the system,
- stop taking pharmacological preparations containing the hormone and thereby causing an excessive increase in the level of the active substance (Utrogestan, Crinon, Duphaston, Endometrine).
After tests and diagnostics of the root cause of increased progesterone secretion, the doctor prescribes drug therapy. The most popular drugs to reduce the concentration of a substance are:
The use of these drugs requires an individual selection of dosages and regimens. The drugs are not prescribed for cardiac and adrenal insufficiency, disturbance of the rhythm of heart contractions, inflammation of the reproductive organs. They are contraindicated in patients with asthma, hypertension.
These pharmacological agents have serious side effects. Among them:
- dizziness, migraine,
- loss of consciousness,
- heavy uterine bleeding,
Self-medication leads to serious complications. Preparations for reducing progesterone levels are prescribed only by a specialist (gynecologist and endocrinologist). The dynamics of the patient's condition is constantly monitored by the doctor, the dosage regimen is adjusted based on laboratory data on the level of the hormone in the blood.
Proper nutrition is included in complex therapy to reduce progesterone. For this period, from the diet should be excluded:
- pork and poultry,
- sunflower, olive, butter, lard, fish oil,
- pumpkin and sunflower seeds,
Diet is selected in accordance with age, body weight, mental state. The basis of the diet are:
- low fat boiled fish,
- veal (boiled or steamed),
- salads from fresh or boiled vegetables without oil,
- rice, buckwheat,
- baked apples,
- black bread toasts
Herbs and folk remedies
You can lower progesterone with the help of traditional medicine. Their choice and combination should be coordinated with the attending physician. For the preparation of drugs are most often used:
- infusions based on flowers, fruits of mountain ash, mint leaves, wild carrot seeds, dried clove buds, red brush leaves,
- decoctions of the stems of the uterus boron.
In the normalization of the hormone level, vitamins occupy a special place:
- it is effectively reduced by A and C,
- T indirectly affects progesterone, because it inhibits the production of estrogen,
- the combination of group B with vitamin D lowers the level of the substance.
A high level of progesterone negatively affects the condition of the woman.. Its excessive concentration during pregnancy indicates a violation of the development of the placenta and fetus. To determine how to reduce the active substance, the doctor must identify the root cause of hormonal failure. After that, complex therapy is carried out, it is adjusted depending on the dynamics of the patient's condition.
What is the hormone progesterone responsible for?
Experts often call progesterone a pregnancy hormone, because it produces a yellow body, i.e. a gland that appears in the ovary after ovulation. If the pregnancy does not occur, then the corpus luteum dies after a couple of weeks and menstruation comes. With the onset of pregnancy, the corpus luteum continues to be produced by progesterone until the sixteenth week. until the moment when this function is transferred to the formed placenta. Thanks to progesterone, the fertilization of the egg takes place, and then the pregnancy itself is preserved. It prepares the body for the pregnancy itself and subsequent delivery, has a beneficial effect on the nervous system, suppresses uterine contractions and prevents rejection of the ovum. Meanwhile, its direct influence on the production of milk by the mammary glands and the preparation of the breast for feeding the baby has been noted. Low levels of progesterone during pregnancy provoke.
Progesterone Norm in Women
Speaking about the normal level of progesterone, it is worth noting that the figures are different for their period. If a woman is not pregnant, then the hormonal level varies from phase to phase, in the perinatal period the level is completely different. Therefore, in the desire to calculate the norm, you can focus on the table below.
Why is progesterone increased in women?
Often the cause of a high level of progesterone is pregnancy, if it is not there, then it means that the work of the ovaries is impaired and, in some cases, of oncology. The causes of increased progesterone are called:
- yellow body cyst,
- renal failure
- uterine bleeding,
- violation of menstruation.
The exact reason for the increased progesterone can only be called a doctor, after a thorough examination.
Symptoms of elevated progesterone
Suspected high levels of progesterone can be on the following grounds:
- painful acne,
- mood changes
- increased vegetation on the body,
- impaired vision
- depressed state
- migraines and frequent headaches,
- fast fatiguability.
How to lower progesterone
Progesterone is reduced with the help of medicines that are strictly prescribed by specialists. Before this, it is necessary to pass blood for analysis. All manipulations are organized immediately after ovulation. It is important to donate blood on an empty stomach early in the morning, then the data will be more accurate, and the treatment, of course, is more effective. If the cycle is regular, then one analysis is enough, but with an irregular one there is a need for repeated analyzes. Examinations are conducted by a gynecologist and an endocrinologist. In addition to taking medications, the doctor may prescribe a special diet to the patient, which contributes to the normalization of hormonal levels. Protein dishes, dairy products and nuts contribute to an increase in progesterone levels, so they should be discarded or at least minimized during treatment. But mint tea, by contrast, improves the level of hormones.
In folk medicine, the following recipes can be noted, which will help to establish a hormonal background:
Why is low progesterone in women?
There are many reasons for low progesterone, and the main ones are:
- regular stress and nerve shocks,
- quick resorption of the corpus luteum,
- painful thinness
- excessive physical exertion, therefore, especially the lack of progesterone is diagnosed to avid sportswomen.
Symptoms of Low Progesterone
The fact that there is a lack of progesterone, can be understood by:
- quick fatigue and tiredness even after sleep,
- frequent mood swings,
- disturbed menstruation,
- hair loss and weight gain
- swollen chest.
As with elevated progesterone, to confirm the diagnosis, you need to contact a gynecologist and an endocrinologist and pass the appropriate blood tests. If the diagnosis is confirmed, the specialist will prescribe the correct treatment.
How to increase progesterone
Recipes of traditional medicine to increase the level of progesterone.
- Pour half a liter of a large spoonful of plantain seeds and two large spoons of a cuff. Let the compound settle. Drink three times a day in a large spoon.
- Five large spoons of milled prutnyak fruit brew half a liter of boiling water. Let stand a little and consume as a tea drink.
- In equal volume take the leaves of raspberry and wild yam. Ready collection brew as a simple tea and drink throughout the day.
- Red brush, in the amount of one hundred grams, fill with a liter of high-quality vodka. Cover with a lid and leave to infuse in a dark place for a month, occasionally stirring. The finished tincture is used before meals three times a day in forty drops.
The herbs listed above should be consumed in the second half of the cycle, organizing a mandatory break in the menstruation. In no case can not combine these herbs with mint, red clover and licorice, as these representatives have the opposite effect. To increase the amount of progesterone in the blood, it is helpful to season dishes with spices such as curry, turmeric, oregano and thyme.
It is useful to eat eggs, both chicken and quail, beans, peas, dietary meats, raspberries, oatmeal, dairy products, avocados, nuts. All this, of course, cannot act directly, but it is in their power to stimulate the work of the organs responsible for producing progesterone. Avoid excessive exercise of strength, try to be less nervous and lead a healthy lifestyle. The organism is alive, and it can independently cope with the problems that have arisen, it needs only a little help from you.
Elevated levels of progesterone is not always a normal condition and may indicate different pathologies. In our article we will talk about what is elevated progesterone and what means its increase.
Progesterone is a female sex hormone that is responsible for the reproductive functions of the body. It is produced by the adrenal glands and the corpus luteum - a temporary gland. Also, the hormone is produced by the placenta during the childbearing period. Since the hormonal background of the girl is not constant, it happens that the level of the hormone increases or, conversely, decreases. The reasons for this may be specifically physiological, and may be pathological. So what does raising the level of the hormone mean?
Increased progesterone 17th
Excess progesterone in women is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- acne on face and body
- constant fatigue, fatigue,
- failure in the menstrual cycle
- breast pain
- low pressure,
- increased sweating
- mood swings
- bloating and weight gain.
An excess of 17-OH progesterone and its signs are manifested in each case individually. That is, one girl can have all the symptoms at once, while the other has only one or several of them.
Causes of excess progesterone
The main reason for increasing hormone levels is pregnancy. But if you are 100% sure that you are not expecting a baby, an increase in progesterone in the body may indicate different pathologies. Among them:
- yellow body cyst
- disturbed menstrual cycle
- renal failure or adrenal dysfunction.
The exact cause of the condition will be determined by the doctor, who will prescribe a patient with a high hormone content for the examination, and then make a treatment plan. If you are pregnant, an increased level of progesterone is a completely normal condition caused by physiological causes.
It begins with the most important phase, where the follicle is formed and the foundation of the future conception process is laid. Under favorable conditions, the success of this period depends on whether the egg is viable or not. It . It lasts until the moment of ovulation and is about 14-16 days. Her first day is the beginning of menstruation. At this point, progesterone and the follicular phase seem to be at the stage of waiting. The basal temperature throughout the period remains unchanged and remains at 37 degrees. Progesterone production is low and reaches its lowest level.
During the follicular phase, progesterone begins to rise along with the maturing dominant follicle every day. It helps to avoid the formation of cysts, which often manifest themselves fully after ovulation. There is also such a thing as a follicular cyst. This is a follicle that grew during the first phase, but did not burst at the time of ovulation. Here is a similar phenomenon and can be triggered by a violation of the level of progesterone in the follicular phase.
If all the processes in the body go according to plan, there are no structural disorders, then the value of progesterone is normal: from 0.32 to 2.23 nmol / l. Its main jump is observed a day before the onset of ovulation.
Fluctuations from standard indicators in the follicular phase rarely manifest themselves with pronounced signs, however, with an increase in progesterone level, increased blood pressure can be observed.
Increased progesterone levels in the first phase
As a rule, hormonal imbalance in this period occurs due to improper medication. Prescribing hormone therapy in the first half of the cycle, doctors run the risk of causing abnormal growth of the endometrium, which further complicates the onset of pregnancy.
The effects of elevated progesterone may be unpredictable. There is a possibility of asynchronous development of both the endometrium and the embryos formed in the future. Very little attention is paid to the study of the hormonal level in the follicular phase, but this could help in making the correct diagnosis associated with dysfunctions of the female reproductive system.
Increasing progesterone on the final follicular phase specifically, you can reduce the efficiency of implantation of the embryo to the wall of the uterus, and as a result, reduce the frequency of pregnancy.
Since progesterone is a secretory product for developing follicles inside the ovary, its amount gradually increases in the peripheral circulation.
What is the result? : the more follicles are in the ovary, the more it will produce progesterone.
Here another pattern has also been revealed: with a larger number of matured follicles and a higher level of progesterone, the possibility of embryo attachment during the luteal phase decreases.
Scientists have determined the threshold concentration of the hormone in the follicular phase, which will not allow pregnancy to occur at all. This is 4 nmol / l or 1.26 ng / ml.
How to treat progesterone boosting
Having dealt with the nuances, one can understand that progesterone and the follicular phase are not so far apart. Despite the fact that at this time, the ovaries work from the inside, saturating the blood flow with the necessary amount of hormone, it still has a due effect on the further development of the endometrium. With a high level of progesterone in the first phase, it is very important to double-check the result after ovulation, about 21-22 laziness cycle.
Treatment with an increased value of progesterone in the follicular phase is based on the abolition of stimulatory drugs. Also an important factor is the build of a woman. If she is too thin, then the hormone will simply roll off. The reason for this is the lack of fat, which should take on part of progesterone. Therefore, the normal structure of the body, a healthy diet, the absence of excessive medication increase the likelihood of feeling pregnant.
In order to lower progesterone, you first need to figure out what it is. Perhaps this name does not mean anything to you, but any gynecologist will popularly explain that, in fact, progesterone is the most important hormone for women, because it is he who is responsible for fertilization and successful childbearing. The term itself dates back to Latin and translates as "wear, bear."
In short, progesterone is needed in order to prepare the uterine lining for a possible pregnancy. After the fertilized egg has successfully settled in the uterus, the body understands that it is necessary to produce this hormone rapidly and in large quantities.
How to lower progesterone?
In a physically healthy woman, the level of the hormone should be normal, since both a lack and an excess of it lead to rather unpleasant consequences. For example, if progesterone levels are lowered, it can lead to miscarriage in the early stages. Excess progesterone also affects a woman is not the best way: she feels not passing fatigue, quickly gets tired, complains of dizziness and pain. The general condition can be described as depressive. If you donated blood for analysis and found out that your hormone level is elevated, you should direct your strength to lower progesterone. How to do it?
Instructions for use
1. First of all, you need to remember that treatment can be carried out in many ways. Perhaps the most popular and reliable method is drugs. However, do not forget that it is strictly forbidden to use them without specialist control! You can take pills only as directed by your doctor. If you cannot go to the hospital for some reason, but you want to start treatment as soon as possible, consult traditional medicine. In order to lower progesterone, you can use the tincture of flowers of red rowan. It is very simple to prepare: one tablespoon of a plant is poured with one glass of boiling water and brewed as usual tea. An hour later, strain the broth through cheesecloth. Drink 1/3 cup per day (it is best to do it after a meal). If you can not get flowers of mountain ash, you can take the berries. The difference lies in the fact that they must first boil over low heat.
2. In case the lack of the necessary hormone affects your skin (for example, you suffer from pustules), then a clove (flowers, buds or leaves) can be used for treatment. Brew a couple of teaspoons of dried plant and drink a tablespoon four to five times a day. Ideal - tincture of but if it is not, and the garden will do.
3. If you donated blood for progesterone and realized that your hormone level is elevated, wild carrot seeds will help you - they prevent the development of progesterone in the body. In what form to take the drug? Chop three to four tablespoons of seeds thoroughly and cover with plenty of hot water. Insist on all this for twelve hours, then drink one glass three times a day.
Do not forget, however, that traditional medicine can not be an adequate substitute for a full-fledged treatment. Be sure to visit an endocrinologist and a gynecologist, then you can continue to drink herbs, combining them with prescribed pills.
Materials are published for review, and are not a prescription for treatment! We recommend contacting an endocrinologist at your clinic!
Reducing the level of progesterone affects not only the ability of a woman to become pregnant and make a healthy child, but also the state of the whole organism. How to increase progesterone? This is possible in a natural way, with the help of nutritional adjustments, substitution therapy or folk remedies. The treatment is carried out only on prescription.
Low progesterone in a woman indicates a violation of the ovaries , since it is this organ (more precisely, the corpus luteum, which is formed in the ovary after ovulation) that hormone is produced. The reduced concentration of the hormone in the blood prevents pregnancy, and when it occurs it causes fetal death, since the placenta does not develop fully.
When a woman’s hormonal health is normal, her whole body works “like a clock”
Why progesterone is reduced in the blood
The cause of a hormonal imbalance in a woman’s body can be:
- chronic stress
- increased level of anxiety
- genetic predisposition
- strict diet, fasting.
Since progesterone is produced by the corpus luteum of the ovary, a decrease in its concentration indicates the absence of ovulation (low progesterone after the middle of the cycle). This condition in medicine is called anovulation.
The reasons for anovulation are:
- follicle atresia - a pathology in which connective tissue immediately forms on the site of the released egg and the phase of the yellow body is absent,
- follicle persistence - occurs when there is no transformation of the follicle into the corpus luteum,
- impaired follicle transformation in the corpus luteum , as a result, the function of the latter is impaired and, as a result, the synthesis of the hormone decreases,
- malfunction of the pituitary gland - This organ produces tropic hormones that control the formation and functioning of the corpus luteum.
The level of progesterone is actively influenced by the proper functioning of the hypothalamic-pituitary system, as well as the thyroid gland. It is very important for a woman to know how to increase progesterone in a natural way.
To cause a hormonal disorder, the consequence of which will be reduced progesterone in the body, abortion, miscarriages, postponed pregnancy, side effects of some pharmacological drugs, chronic inflammatory processes in the pelvic organs.
In this case, women are prescribed medications that can neutralize the side effects of drugs and restore the balance of progesterone in the body.
Important! The causes of low progesterone are very diverse, so you should not make a diagnosis yourself and take any medication. It is better to visit the doctor and pass the necessary tests.
Symptoms of progesterone deficiency
Symptoms of low progesterone in women can be either intense or not pronounced. With insufficient progesterone levels, women often find the following symptoms:
- chest tension
- increased nipple sensitivity,
- depressive states
- spotting between periods,
- heaviness in the legs
- mood swings
- lack of sexual attraction
- reduction of the menstrual cycle.
Among the external signs of progesterone deficiency edema, acne, hair loss, varicose veins, a sharp increase in body weight.
Attention! Low progesterone is an obstacle to conception. Therefore, when signs of its decline are found, it is not worthwhile to self-medicate and hope that the balance of hormones will recover on its own.
If you find yourself in at least a few symptoms of low progesterone, you must consult a doctor and test for the content of this hormone in the blood.
Consequences of low progesterone in pregnant women
If progesterone deficiency develops during pregnancy, then the woman has miscarriage (spontaneous abortions or miscarriages), prolonged pregnancy, pathology and embryo development retardation, lack of milk after the baby is born.
Symptoms of decreased progesterone in women during pregnancy will be much more intense.
Important! With low progesterone, the body is unable to suppress the immune response, so the maternal organism perceives the embryo as a foreign organism. As a result, fever, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, purulent or bleeding. Then the state of shock develops.
In order to prevent such dangerous effects, you need to know how to increase progesterone in women.
How to increase hormone levels
If progesterone is lowered, replacement therapy will help increase it. . To restore the hormonal balance prescribed progesterone drugs:
- Natural progesterone,
- Endometrine (vaginal tablets),
- Injest (solution for intramuscular injection),
- Crinon gel (injected vaginally from the 18th to the 21st day of the cycle, during pregnancy it is used during the first month).
Attention! All these tools are sold in a pharmacy without a prescription, but it is absolutely impossible to self-medicate. Only a doctor can prescribe a suitable medicine to restore hormonal balance.
How to increase progesterone naturally? You can also increase the level of the hormone by using certain foods:
- legumes (beans, lentils, peas),
- chicken and quail egg yolk,
- dairy and dairy products,
- lean meat
- flax seeds and others
The quality of nutrition affects not only the general condition of the woman, but also the hormonal balance in her body. To maintain health is very important to eat right. . If a low level of progesterone was detected in women, then you can correct your menu and increase the number of products that stimulate the synthesis of this hormone in the body.
Asking how to increase progesterone in women folk remedies, it is worth remembering about the plants that have a progestogenic effect. These include plantain seeds, prutniki fruits, raspberry leaves, wild yam, mint leaves, red clover, licorice and others.
However, medicinal plants should be used only after consulting an endocrinologist.
Home »Useful to know» Progesterone is too high. How to reduce progesterone drugs, diet and folk remedies
Donating a biochemical blood test to progesterone levels necessary for the following manifestations:
- Can not get pregnant 2 years or more.
- Skin manifestations in the form of large fatty acne, oily seborrhea.
- Frequent headaches on the background of weakness, dizziness, apathy.
- Increased sweating.
- Pain and itching in the mammary glands.
- Uterine bleeding of unknown nature.
- Flatulence, flatulence.
- Weight gain with unchanged diet (both with increased and with reduced progestin).
- Delay of menstruation by more than 1.5 cycles.
- Increased blood pressure.
- Loss of appetite.
The rate depends on the phase of life of the woman. Maximum allowable concentration (up to 771.5. nmol / l) on the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. During menopause, a limit value of 0.8 nmol / L.
Exceeding the allowable values occurs for the following reasons:
- Taking medications that increase progesterone - often, with the normalization of hormone levels.
- Delayed menstruation.
- Doing sports if loads are increased at the same time.
- Lack of vitamins A, C.
- Blood outflow due to uterine bleeding.
- After severe stress: emotional, sudden changes in temperature.
- Some diseases: cyst of the corpus luteum, congenital dysfunction of the adrenal cortex, gallbladder, ovarian tumor.
- When pregnancy is a multiple fetus.
How to lower?
The concentration of progesterone is reduced by medical preparations:
- artificial progesterone,
- valproic acid
Medications are prescribed for exacerbations (exceeding the maximum permissible values by 1.5 times or more). In other cases, it is better to reduce the level of a natural way:
- eliminate from the diet foods that increase the level of progestin or accelerate its spread through the bloodstream and lymph flow,
- to refuse the medical preparations increasing concentration,
- take herbal decoctions.
You can not eat fatty foods and high protein.
- pork and poultry meat,
- fats of plant and animal origin - sunflower, olive and butter, pork and fish oil,
- pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds,
Exclusion of drugs that increase the level
At elevated levels, discontinue therapy with the following medications:
- Progesterone - solution for injections.
- Utrozhestan - capsules.
- Crinon - vaginal cream.
- Duphaston - pills.
- Endometrine - pills.
Diet and its features
Diet not effective self-medication. She is a component of complex therapy, in combination with medical preparations. The diet is made on the basis of age, body weight, mental state.
- Low-fat boiled fish - goes well with beet salads, baked apples.
- Boiled or steamed veal. Veal liver - rice, buckwheat porridge, boiled grated carrots.
- Fat-free dairy products - black bread toast, apple-carrot caviar, a wonderful breakfast for obesity.
On 3 kg of grated apples 2 kg, grated on a large grater, carrots. Cook on the steam bath for 1 hour. Add salt and sugar to taste. Boil 10 min. After, 0.5 kg of peeled Bulgarian pepper mince. Add to mix. Boil for 15 minutes. Before shutting down, pour 50 ml of sunflower oil.
There are several drugs that stimulate the suppression of hormone production. It is important to note that similar drugs that regulate hormonal balance in men and women have a lot of side effects. Therefore, it is important to take a blood test for progesterone before taking the appropriate medications, as well as to consult a doctor. This will help you establish the correct dosage, select the necessary drug and avoid unpleasant consequences for the body.
For women, it is important before taking hormone drugs to completely eliminate the factor of pregnancy. Thoughtless self-treatment in the case of carrying a child can initiate premature termination of pregnancy.
Men should also approach hormone medication with caution.
To reduce the level of progesterone, if it is elevated (at normal use is contraindicated), the following drugs are prescribed:
- Clomiphene This drug is a white pill. Apply 50 mg once a day from the fifth day of the menstrual cycle for five days.
- Mifepristone. This synthetic anti-progestogen is often prescribed to women for medical abortion. An important point in the use of this drug is its reception only in the presence of a doctor to control the action.
- Valproic acid. This drug compound also has antiepileptic and sedative effects. When taking it is necessary to be very careful, as the risk of nausea, vomiting, hair loss is increased.
- Tamoxifen. This antitumor hormonal drug is often prescribed for malignant and benign neoplasms in women (breast cancer).
- Synthetic analogues of progesterone. The effect of these drugs is to inhibit the synthesis of its own hormone through the introduction of artificial.
Men should be extremely careful when taking these drugs because of their powerful action. In no case should not allow self-treatment. With excessive suppression of progesterone production, the risk of testosterone deficiency in men is increased, which is partly a product of progestin processing. Thus, with an excessive decrease in the hormone content, you can achieve the opposite result.
Progestin Reduction Nutrition
Revision of the diet, on the one hand, is a way to normalize the hormonal balance of both men and women in a natural way. It is not as dangerous as hormone treatment with drugs, and is not associated with the risk of side effects. But on the other hand, in case of acute pathological conditions of certain foods, it will not be enough to normalize the level of progestin in the blood. In this case, it will be optimal to combine hormonal drug therapy with a well-chosen diet.
It would be inappropriate to isolate a range of foods to lower the level of the hormone in the blood. There are no such products. However, there are types of food that contribute to the synthesis of progestin. The rejection of these products in the case of elevated progesterone is the required diet.
Progestin is a hormone that is highly soluble in fats. Therefore, to lower progestin, it is worth refusing or significantly lowering the level of fat consumed. This can be achieved by buying low-fat products (milk, cottage cheese), as well as not buying meat, vegetable oil. Such tactics will help reduce the level of progestin absorption in the body of both men and women.
It is also worth reducing the consumption of nuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, legumes (soybeans, peas), poultry meat.If progestin is not greatly increased, then mint will help normalize hormonal balance. But do not drink tea with mint more than three times a day.
Folk remedies that lower progesterone
Do not underestimate the effect of herbs and infusions on the body. They contain a wide range of natural biologically active substances, with the proper use of which you can greatly reduce the contents of the home first-aid kit.
If progestin is increased in blood in men and women, then help reduce it:
This plant is actively used if the content of the hormone is increased. Red rowan berries boil for fifteen minutes. The resulting decoction should be taken two to four times a day after meals. This infusion has proven itself in the initial stages of hormonal imbalance, endocrine disorders.
Flowers and buds of this plant are used to combat skin pathologies that occur when progestin levels are elevated. Three tablespoons of a mixture of flowers and buds of cloves pour 300 ml of boiling water and leave for half an hour. The resulting broth taken on an empty stomach three times a day. The observed effect can be obtained after a week of treatment.
Wild carrot helps with hormonal disorders. Three tablespoons of seeds pour half a liter of boiling water and insist in a dark place during the day. The resulting infusion is filtered and drunk three times a day in a glass.
Hormonal disorders are dangerous to the health of men and women. To prevent pathology, it is important to closely monitor the condition of the body. This will help you preventive examinations, consultations with a doctor and blood tests.
For the appointment of adequate treatment is necessary to consult a doctor. The first step of treatment will be the referral to tests. For a complete picture, prepare for the analysis. Eight hours before delivery, it is not recommended to eat fatty, fried, salty, spicy. From dinner to refuse at all, do not have breakfast.
The recommended time limit for taking blood for analysis is the 23rd day of the cycle. With a regular cycle, laboratory testing a week before the start is acceptable. It is important to have a gynecological examination and a test for human chorionic gonadotropin, or HCG for short. This hormone is a protein produced by the shell of the fetus during pregnancy. The purpose of this analysis is to eliminate pregnancy. Only after the study, the doctor prescribes a treatment that helps reduce the level of progesterone.
The choice of drugs is aimed at eliminating the main reasons that provoked an increase in progesterone levels. The provoking factors are the following pathologies:
- diseases of the kidneys and adrenal glands,
- pregnancy for more than 6 months
- uterine bleeding,
- disorder in the endocrine system,
- failure of the gastrointestinal tract,
- increase in blood glucose.
Medicines prescribed for the treatment of elevated progesterone are selected taking into account various factors. Clomiphene tablets prescribed in the absence of pregnancy, liver disease.
The drug Mifepristone is indicated for use to improve the tone and contractions of the muscular layer of the uterus, but is contraindicated in pregnancy, disorders of the liver and kidneys.
Valproic acid is a drug that reduces nervous tension, relieves stress. Antitumor agent Tamoxifen is prescribed to prevent tumors, in combination with other drugs. Pregnant women are prohibited from taking this medicine.
Methods of traditional medicine
Folk remedies in reducing progesterone play an important role. Along with drug therapy, they help restore hormonal balance, relieve stress, decrease fatigue. They are a stimulant in improving the work of the kidneys, liver, gastrointestinal system.
Berries and the color of red rowan tend to restore the work of the endocrine system, while reducing the amount of hormone in the blood. To do this: two dessert spoons of the color of mountain ash scald 350-370 ml of boiling water, leave for an hour, then twice pass through a cloth folded in four. Take 100-120 ml after meals. Rowan berries should be boiled for fifteen minutes, then allowed to cool and drink 3-4 times a day on a full stomach.
Clove flowers and buds are helpful in alleviating skin symptoms in this pathology. To do this, make an infusion: 3-4 teaspoons of flowers and buds in the mixture pour boiling water (350 g), insist 30 minutes. Drink on an empty stomach 4 times a day.
To achieve results in the treatment will help infusion of wild carrot seeds. The infusion is prepared: 4 small spoons of seeds are poured with boiling water (650 g), infused for 24 hours in a dark place. Chilled drink squeezed through several layers of clean tissue. Take 3 times a day in any mode. Carrots help tidy up the hormonal system, nervous, prevents the appearance of cholesterol.
Much has been written about how to reduce progesterone with the help of a diet. The main, pronounced symptom of overestimated progesterone levels is obesity, so a properly developed diet is the basis of a positive result of treatment. Foods with high protein content lead to hormonal imbalance, thereby indirectly increasing the level of progesterone in the blood. For this reason, it is worthwhile to limit the consumption of such products. These include:
- cottage cheese,
- hard cheese
- sunflower seeds,
- rich flour products,
Cholesterol plaque formation should be prevented by eliminating cholesterol-rich foods:
- sour cream,
- fatty cheeses,
- fat meat,
All of the above categories of products not only lead to hormonal failure, but also reduces the overall immunity. It is shown to enter into the diet food containing carbohydrates: potatoes, green peas, carrots. Greens - parsley, dill, salads, green onions. Vegetables - beet, pumpkin, cucumber. Well proven in the dietary treatment of fruits: apples, pears, plums, bananas. Dried fruit compotes help in restoring a weakened body.
Pregnant women selected individual diet. Takes into account the period, the presence of pathologies, chronic processes, aggravated with the onset of pregnancy. The general clinical picture is collected and, according to all components, the optimal diet is selected. It should be noted that diet therapy cannot have an independent character of treatment.
The purpose of the diet is necessary as an additional therapy for drug treatment, as well as treatment with traditional medicine.
It is important to remember that low levels of progesterone are no less dangerous than elevated ones, therefore it is impossible to self-medicate, because this leads to sad consequences. You can not take drugs yourself, without professional advice. It is unacceptable to single out the diet, the dose of treatment. All appointments are issued only by a qualified specialist.
Prevention is considered to be measures taken to prevent an increase in progesterone. Timely access to a doctor and proper treatment is the key to a woman’s health.
We recommend related articles
How can you lower progesterone levels in women?
Before we talk about how to reduce progesterone, it is worth bearing in mind that the level of this hormone varies depending on what phase of the menstrual cycle the female body is in. The first half of the cycle is characterized by the predominance of estrogens, which perform a number of essential functions for the full-fledged work of the reproductive system. During this time, progesterone is in a phase of decline.
The next period after estrogen dominance is the ripening of the corpus luteum. It is up to him to increase progesterone and changes in the woman's body. In the second phase of the cycle, estrogen lowers its performance, which is why changes occur. Increased appetite and sensitivity to external stimuli. Female hormones, such as progesterone and estrogen, contribute to the proper preparation of the female reproductive system for conception. This causes a good appetite in the second phase of the cycle, because with a decrease in body weight, full-fledged childbearing is impossible.
However, a slight increase in progesterone is not dangerous, but if its performance is significant, then various pathologies occur. As a result of this phenomenon, the tone of the gastrointestinal tract can be lowered. This can provoke obesity, since the amount of food eaten is no longer controlled, as with the normal value of the hormone. Violation of the urinary system.
If the results of the tests revealed a reduced estrogen and an increase in progesterone, then the indicators can be corrected. This can be done both with the help of drug therapy and traditional medicine. The third way is diet.
Before starting treatment, you should make sure that there is no pregnancy.
Drug therapy is carried out with the help of special drugs (Clomiphene, Mifepristone, Tamoxifen, Valproic acid). Also use synthetic hormonal drugs.
Using a diet to correct the level of the hormone can be only slightly, but if you exclude some products that increase progesterone, it is possible to achieve positive results. To do this for a while it is better to abandon the use of dairy products, legumes, pumpkins, meat.
It is better to give preference to vegetables and fruits in fresh and boiled form, fish.
It is good to eat sprouted wheat grains on an empty stomach, which are rich in useful microelements and active substances that can correct not only progesterone, but also lowered immunity.
Traditional medicine is rich in recipes that give positive results with the regularity of their use. Of them distinguish the following:
- Mint. If you drink this tea every day, then after a while the level of the hormone will decrease. However, it should be used no more than 3 times a day.
- The fruits of mountain ash.
- Borovaya uterus.
- Carnation flowers.
Before using this or that method, you need to make sure that the hormone is elevated, not lowered. Otherwise, you can hurt yourself. It is also necessary to exclude the presence of other somatic diseases, which as a result of therapy may worsen. Before treating a lower level of estrogen with elevated rates of progesterone, it is imperative that you consult with your doctor.
As you know, one of the main destinations of women is motherhood. Ability to conceive, bear and give birth to a child. In order for the pregnancy to be successful, it is necessary that the hormonal background of the mother of the future baby be balanced. That is, if a woman lacks a hormone, fertilization is impossible.
A pregnancy hormone or progesterone performs several important functions in the body of women:
- Changes in the structure of the endometrium in the uterus so that the fertilized egg can gain a foothold on it,
- Ensuring the integrity of the endometrium during 9 months of pregnancy. Since for three trimesters the woman’s menstrual period does not go on, it is necessary that the endometrium does not reject or change during all this time,
- Enlarged uterus, so that the fetus can fully develop and grow every month in the womb of a woman
- Protection of the uterus and fetus from spontaneous abortion or premature birth,
- The implementation of lactation, preparation of the mammary glands for breastfeeding,
- Blood pressure control
- Regulation of metabolism in women.
In addition to these vital functions, progesterone can contribute to obesity in a woman. To avoid this, every woman should know what is the rate of progesterone in the blood of women, and how to lower the level of the hormone?
Progesterone and its role in the body
Increased progesterone level occurs in women with a number of diseases: tumors of the adrenal glands and ovaries, corpus luteum cyst, chronic renal failure. The appearance of hyperprogesteronemia in men is possible with a malignant testicular lesion, benign tumors of the gonads, and congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
Progesterone is a steroid-type hormone that is produced by the corpus luteum of the ovaries, seminal vesicles, the adrenal cortex. When pregnancy occurs, a large amount of this substance is secreted by the placenta.
In women, progesterone affects the proper functioning of the ovaries, mammary glands and uterus. It plays an important role in preparing the body for pregnancy, contributes to the normal process of gestation, forms the breast glands and lactation.
His influence on the emotional sphere of mothers and the formation of a sense of responsibility and concern for the future baby have been proved.
In men, this hormone affects the function of the prostate gland, supports men's health until old age.
The level of progesterone in the blood varies with the phase of the menstrual cycle or with the onset of pregnancy. To diagnose donate blood on the 21st day of the cycle on an empty stomach. During this period, the concentration of the substance increases from 0.3 to 57 mmol / l due to the formation of the corpus luteum in the ovaries.
By the beginning of the next cycle, the concentration in the blood drops, and if fertilization of the egg occurs, the level continues to grow. In men, the hormone content is constant and is 0.3-0.6 mmol / l.
For tumors of the adrenal glands and sex glands, the concentration of progesterone exceeds the maximum permissible norms, which is detected during diagnosis and gives a clinical picture.
Flowers and berries of red rowan
Rowan is an effective natural medicine that is used for endocrine disorders in the body. Especially well this plant has proven itself in cases of hyperprogenerability of different genesis. Flowers of rowan in the amount of two dessert spoons need to pour 370 ml of boiling water and leave for at least an hour, then strain twice through several layers of gauze.
It is recommended to drink 120 ml after each meal. Rowan berries have a similar effect. To prepare the infusion, the fruits in the same amount as in the previous recipe should be boiled for a quarter of an hour and taken in half a cup on a full stomach 2-4 times a day. The course of therapy continues for two weeks.
Carnation flowers and buds, carrot seeds
Clove has a positive effect on the treatment of skin diseases caused by increased progesterone synthesis. For the preparation of medicinal solution take a few dessert spoons of a mixture of flowers and buds of the plant. Pour 350 ml of boiling water and insist about half an hour. Take 3 teaspoons on an empty stomach 3-4 times a day. The treatment course is at least a week.
Wild carrot seeds are able to restore hormonal balance in the body, improve
sleep, reduce irritability, normalize blood pressure and cholesterol levels. To do this, chop 4 dessert spoons of seeds, pour 650 ml of boiling water and leave for 24 hours in a dark place. Strained solution drink a glass 2-3 times a day, regardless of the meal.
Progesterone is also called the hormone of pregnancy, because it is the course of this process and the timeliness of delivery that depends on it. However, an excessive amount of this substance in a woman’s body often causes infertility, menstrual disorders, early menopause. If you are suffering from one of these conditions, contact your gynecologist, who will help determine the cause of negative changes in the body and prescribe adequate therapy.
Often, experts use preparations based on plant materials for the integrated treatment of the identified pathology. These tools act gently, cause a minimal number of side effects, do not cause addiction.
Stem uterus borovoy and red brush
Borovaya uterus is a perennial plant that grows in coniferous forests of Siberia. It consists of citric acid, saponins, arbutin, which have anti-inflammatory, hemostatic and analgesic properties. In addition, this herb affects the function of the ovaries and normalizes the production of sex hormones, primarily progesterone. From the dry mixture of the stems of the plant, they prepare a decoction and take a quarter of a glass twice a day.
Grass red brush is used to treat men and women. It fruitfully affects the potency and libido. The high efficiency of therapy for adenoma, prostatitis, benign and malignant lesions of the uterus, ovaries has been proven in many patients. While taking the remedy, the general condition improves, the skin is cleared of rashes, the digestion processes are normalized, the body weight is reduced.
Hormonal disorders are leveled out as soon as possible. For an infusion, you need 3-4 dessert spoons of the mixture, pour a few cups of boiling water and leave for 9-12 hours. Strained solution take 3 teaspoons three times a day after meals. Therapy usually takes 7-12 days.
Before you begin treatment with traditional recipes, you must consult with your doctor. Increasing the concentration of progesterone in the blood is often associated with the development of serious diseases, including malignant tumors. Timely diagnosis and adequate treatment plays an enormous role for achieving a positive result and maintaining health.
Роль прогестерона в организме женщины
This hormone, playing a decisive role in the normal course of pregnancy, also affects the metabolic processes in the body, the nervous and vascular systems, the function of the sebaceous glands, etc. The main effects include:
- inhibition of pituitary gonadotropin synthesis and inhibition of ovulatory processes,
- providing secretory transformation of the endometrium,
- participation in the formation of a time period characterized by favorable conditions for embryonic implantation,
- preservation of the collagen fibers of the cervix by blocking metalloproteinases (proteolytic enzymes) of the uterus, capable of destroying any type of intercellular protein structures,
- neutralization during pregnancy of the effect of oxytocin, causing uterine contractions, due to the blockade of its receptors,
- participation in the formation of fetal steroid hormones,
- participation (as a natural suppressor) in suppressing the immune response of the female body to the cells of the embryo and fetus,
- positive effect on vascular endothelial cells and endometrial blood flow,
- stimulation of the development of glandular tissue in the mammary glands,
- participation in the regulation of glucose in the blood.
Normal hormone levels in the blood are variable. It is calculated for different physiological states of a woman's body and depends mainly on the phases of the menstrual cycle, the time of pregnancy and the time of day. Whether there is a need to increase or decrease the indicators of progesterone is determined not only by the level of its content in the blood, but by the assessment of these studies in relation to a certain physiological state of the female body.
So, for example, in the period of the follicular phase, its content in blood is from 0.32 to 2.23 nmol / l, ovulatory - from 0.48 to 9.41 nmol / l, lutein - from 6.99 to 56.33 nmol / l, and in postmenopause - less than 0.64 nmol / l. Even greater fluctuations reach these standards at different periods of pregnancy.
So, if in the first trimester they range from 8.90 to 468.40 nmol / l, then in the third trimester - from 88.70 to 771.5 nmol / l. Therefore, the question of whether there is a need to reduce progesterone during pregnancy is carried out necessarily taking into account the timing and causes of its increase in blood.
Read more about how progesterone behaves during pregnancy, and what its increase or decrease indicates in our article at the link.
Reasons for increasing hormone levels
The most common causes of excess hormone production, the elimination or reduction of the effect of which reduces progesterone in the blood is:
- Cystic formations of the corpus luteum or malignant neoplasms of the ovaries.
- The absence of menstruation, which may be due to various pathological conditions of the body.
- Dysfunctional uterine bleeding with an increased period of the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle, associated with hormonal imbalance.
- Disorders of placental maturation.
- Diseases (tumors) of the adrenal glands in violation of their function.
- Diabetes mellitus and reduced thyroid function.
- Bubble skid.
- Hepatitis and liver cirrhosis.
- Renal or / and liver failure.
- Taking some drugs - progesterone or its analogs, combined oral contraceptives and some other drugs.
- Excess consumption of foods rich in proteins and fats (cheeses, meat and dairy products, nuts, legumes).
How to reduce the level of progesterone in the blood?
Progesterone-lowering drugs are mainly clomiphene, mifepristone and tamoxifen. However, they require strict dosage selection and careful use, as they have a number of contraindications for use - arterial hypertension, bronchial asthma, cardiac arrhythmias, heart failure, adrenal insufficiency, inflammatory processes of the female genital organs and some others.
Drugs used to reduce progesterone in women
With the use of these pharmacological agents, various serious side effects are possible - heavy uterine bleeding, headaches and dizziness, loss of consciousness, vomiting, high fever, etc. With prolonged hyperprogesteronemia, a rapid decrease in the level of the hormone may result in an increase in body weight.
Therefore, drugs to lower the level of progesterone can not be used on your own. They should be appointed only by a specialist, preferably a gynecologist-endocrinologist, who selects doses and carries out treatment under the control of changes in the level of the hormone in blood tests.
In addition to the use of drugs, progesterone can be lowered by folk remedies if its increase in blood is insignificant and short-term. For these purposes, the following recipes are most often recommended:
- Infusion of flowers of mountain ash and mint leaves. Boil 1 tablespoon in 200 ml of boiling water for half an hour. Should be taken in equal portions 3 times during the day.
- Infusion of two teaspoons of dried rowan berries in 500 ml of boiling water. You should also drink within 1 day in 3 - 4 doses.
- Wild carrot seeds. 40 grams of seeds must be crushed, pour 600 ml of boiling water and leave in a dark place for 1 day. It is recommended to take 200 ml 2 - 3 times a day.
- Broth stems borovoy uterus. Chop 1 tablespoon of dry stalks, pour 100 ml of boiling water and boil in a water bath for 15 minutes. Then cool and after straining the infusion to bring its volume to the original by adding boiled water. Take 50 ml twice a day.
- Infusion of cloves. 10 g of dried clove buds are crushed, 200 ml of boiling water are poured over and insisted for half an hour in a water bath, after which it is necessary to strain and take 70 ml up to 4 times a day.
The use of a diet and medicinal plants or / and the selection by the gynecologist and endocrinologist of the optimal doses of the above listed medications allows one to avoid possible complications of the use of the latter and, moreover, to reduce progesterone without increasing weight.
Treatment solely with the help of a balanced diet and traditional medicine can be effective only in cases where there are no serious pathological changes in the body that caused the excess of normal levels of the hormone in the blood, and the latter has the character of only minor and short-term functional disorders.
Normally, in women, progesterone can change depending on the phase of the menstrual cycle. As you know, the cycle lasts an average of 28-35 days, and the monthly cycle consists of two phases, each of which is dominated by one dominant hormone - progesterone or estrogen.
The first phase of the cycle begins on the first day of the menstrual bleeding and lasts two weeks. In this time interval, the hormones estrogen dominate in the girl's body. From this hormone depends on the mood of a woman, her well-being, as well as the formation of primary sexual characteristics. Without estrogen, the development of the female genital organs is impossible - the uterus, vagina, fallopian tubes, and mammary glands.
Also, this hormone helps to speed up the metabolism. Consequently, in the first two weeks from the date of the onset of menstrual bleeding, a woman can enjoy the pleasure in the form of harmful sweets, fatty, salty and spicy. The progesterone level in this phase is insignificant and ranges from 0.3 to 0.9 nano milligrams per liter of blood.
After a phase in which only estrogen dominates, the dominant blood levels of the hormone progesterone begin. At this point in the body of a woman stands out the egg, which later becomes the yellow body. It is from this yellow body that progesterone begins to stand out in the girl’s bloodstream.
In comparison with the first phase of the cycle, its level increases from 0.3 ng / ml to 30 ng / ml. During this period, the woman's body begins to strenuously accumulate fat. After all, it was so physiologically and historical that insufficient body weight is the first factor as a result of which a woman cannot become pregnant. In a pregnant girl, the rate of progesterone is approximately 350-700 ng / ml.
Hormone and gastrointestinal tract
If progesterone levels are elevated in a woman's body, this leads to the intestinal muscles losing their tone and elasticity. They relax to the maximum limit, allowing the person to eat huge portions of food.
Hormone progesterone promotes better absorption of nutrients, micro - and macronutrients from food. These abilities of the body are especially needed to maintain the health of the mother and the unborn child.
If an increased level of the hormone progesterone is observed in a non-pregnant woman, then this provokes obesity. In addition to the fact that the woman will rapidly gain weight due to the relaxed muscles of the intestine, she will begin problems with the work of the genitourinary system.
How to determine the level of hormone in the blood?
If a woman has no contraindications to donating blood for hormones, then the material for the study should be taken on the 22nd day of the menstrual cycle. Remember that the cycle is considered from the first day of menstrual bleeding.
For the analysis it is necessary to prepare:
- Blood is given on an empty stomach, so in the last meal you do not need to eat fried, sweet, spicy and salty foods.
- Between the last meal and the time when you came to donate blood, at least 8 hours should pass.
- Be sure to tell your doctor if you are currently taking any hormonal contraceptives or medications.
If the result of the analysis showed that you have elevated levels of progesterone, then this may mean:
- The onset of pregnancy
- Bleeding and inflammation in the uterus,
- Amenorrhea - the complete absence of menstruation or scanty discharge,
- If the woman is already in position, then an increased level of progesterone can mean a detachment of the placenta,
- Formation of the cyst of the corpus luteum,
- Endocrine disruption,
- The appearance of severe headaches,
- Constant feeling of tiredness, lethargy and drowsiness,
- Problems with the work of the gastrointestinal tract,
- Blood glucose level increases
- Risk of diabetes,
In women, progesterone can be reduced with a decoction of the fruits of mountain ash, carnation flowers, carrots, or boron uterus stems. All these herbs can be bought at the pharmacy. Therapy usually takes from a week to two, depending on the general state of health. In order to avoid consequences, as well as exacerbation of chronic diseases in the body, before starting treatment, it is necessary to consult a doctor, undergo an ultrasound examination and pass the appropriate laboratory tests.
All about the treatment of folk remedies,
useful properties of plants,
recipes cooking tinctures.
Why is progesterone so important?
Progesterone is a sex hormone that is formed in the ovaries. A small amount of the hormone is synthesized by the adrenal glands. Along with estrogen, he has a number of functions in the body. They prevent menstrual irregularities, reduce the intensity of premenstrual syndrome, protect against some types of cancer.
The main task of progesterone is the preparation of the inner layer of the uterus to fix the fertilized egg and help in carrying the fetus.
This steroid hormone is naturally produced in the female body.
Many women suffer from progesterone and estrogen imbalances. For healthy genital organs, a balance of these two hormones is necessary.
Nearly 75% of women have lower hormone levels. Most often, a low rate in women aged 32-35 years. Some girls hormonal failure can occur at an earlier age.
In some cases, another problem arises - sex hormone levels are increased. This means that something goes wrong in the body. Elevated levels of progesterone indicate a woman’s pregnancy. But if pregnancy is excluded, it can mean a breakdown of the ovaries, oncological processes.
With the following diseases, progesterone levels are significantly higher than usual:
- lack of menstruation (amenorrhea),
- ovarian tumors,
- Addison disease.
It is easy for a woman to notice violations of the hormone level. External changes occur. A girl can gain weight for no reason, eels appear on the face, a rash, swelling, pain in the mammary glands. In psychological terms, the balance is also upset. Excessive weakness, fatigue, fatigue, headaches, constant anxiety and irritability appear.
How to lower progesterone levels?
Before you begin any activities, it is obligatory to consult a doctor! If the level of the hormone is elevated due to a disease (for example, a tumor in the chest, liver dysfunction), the disorders in the body must be completely eliminated. And only then the specialist selects the desired hormonal therapy.
Progesterone levels can also be reduced in several ways:
- With the help of drugs. This method has a negative side - every medication has side effects.
- With the help of a diet. In this case, you need to reduce or eliminate the consumption of those products that contribute to the development of progesterone in the body:
- potatoes and rice,
- poultry, eggs, meat and fish,
- avocado, olives, raw nuts,
- seeds and seeds,
- olive and other vegetable oils,
- cabbage, carrots, potatoes,
- broccoli, peas, asparagus, spinach, lettuce,
- Bell pepper,
- beans and peas.
- With the help of herbs and plants. Carnation flowers, rowan berries, boron uterus stems well help to bring the hormone levels back to normal.
How to determine the norm?
To determine the norm of the hormone takes into account the duration of the menstrual cycle. The cycle is divided into several phases.
Each phase corresponds to its rate of progesterone:
- follicular (maturation of eggs in follicles) - 0.31-2.26 ng / l of blood,
- ovulatory (the release of a ripe egg from the ovary - ovulation) - 0.48 - 9.40 ng / l,
- luteal phase (preparation for pregnancy) - 6.94 - 56.64 ng / l,
- postmenopause - below 0.65 ng / l.
Before the appointment of hormone therapy only a general examination should be carried out, perhaps additional tests are prescribed to determine the diagnosis and find out the cause of this condition.
Why progesterone is elevated in women
Main symptoms of increased hormone levels:
- a large number of rashes and acne,
- excessive hairiness
- weight gain for no reason
- apathy, fatigue,
- pressure destabilization
- violation of the gastrointestinal tract,
- frequent sweating,
- pains in the mammary glands,
- violation of the menstrual cycle,
- decreased sexual libido,
- bleeding from the vagina, not associated with menstruation.
Reasons for increasing the level of sex hormone:
- Adrenal dysfunction.
- Gastric vesicle - the pathology of pregnancy as a result of fertilization of an egg by two spermatozoa.
- Ovarian dysfunction, various diseases of this organ.
Diseases with elevated progesterone levels:
- tumor formations of the female reproductive system,
- lack of menstrual flow
- cystic formations
- renal failure
- heavy bleeding from the uterus,
- long-term use of certain hormonal drugs.
Symptoms of low progesterone levels in women:
- unstable pressure readings
- weight gain
- poor condition of nails and hair, their fragility,
- irritation and aggressiveness
- apathetic mood
- increased weakness and fatigue,
- absence of menstrual bleeding.
These signs are mild, occur about a week before the start of menstruation and disappear after the end of menstrual bleeding. A decrease in progesterone in the blood can provoke poor blood discharge, a decrease in temperature, cold hands and feet. The consequences of too low levels of sex hormone are sad - tumor-like tumors, infertility.
Blood sampling from a vein is carried out a week before the start of menstruation. With a cycle of 25-28 days, ovulation usually occurs on the 15th day of the cycle. If the cycle is unstable, it is worth doing a few tests for greater certainty:
- 1st analysis - 6-7 days before menstruation,
- 2nd analysis - on the 14th day of the cycle,
- 3rd analysis - on the 20th day.
This measurement allows you to determine the dynamics of progesterone. Pregnant women are prescribed by their attending physician.
Preparation for the survey includes the following activities:
- 8-10 hours before the analysis is nothing,
- one day before blood sampling stop taking alcoholic beverages,
- on the night before the procedure, do not drink strong tea or coffee,
- do not smoke on the day of analysis,
- analysis is best to take in the morning on an empty stomach.
After blood sampling the material is sent to the laboratory, the results of the analysis will be ready in 1-3 hours. Blank with the results of the patient can take only the next day.
Is it possible to lower progesterone folk remedies
Treatment can be carried out in three ways: medication, diet and use of traditional medicine. Diet is the proper nutrition and use of dairy products, nuts, seeds, poultry meat. Also helps folk remedies, lowering the level of progesterone - a decoction of mint, carrot seeds, carnation flowers, stalks of the uterine stem. The treatment continues for 2 weeks.
The menu should include food that is rich in carbohydrates: potatoes, green peas, carrots. Из зелени – укроп, щавель, петрушка, зеленый лук, базилик, мята. Из овощей – свекла, огурцы, тыква.You also need to eat fresh fruit - apples, pears, bananas, plums, peaches. The compote of dried fruits has a strengthening effect, it helps the body recover faster. Mint and chamomile tea tone up, contribute to a decrease in progesterone.
Traditional drug treatment consists of hormone therapy. Before therapy, they should absolutely eliminate the probability of pregnancy. Self-medication during pregnancy can cause miscarriage. In some cases, such drugs are contraindicated for women with other diseases.
In this situation, it would be advisable to take medicines on the basis of herbal remedies. Phytopreparations do not bear any harm to the body. Hormonal imbalance can also be treated with folk remedies that can be used as an adjunct to drug therapy, and as an independent method of treatment.
Katya, 17 years old: “Recently I went to a gynecologist for a checkup, she ordered tests, and it turned out that I have low progesterone. The doctor prescribed Utrozhestan to normalize the cycle. ”
Alina, 35 years old: “I couldn’t normalize my menstrual cycle. I gave birth, after delivery I weakened the muscles of the vagina, sagged chest, stouter, there were problems of a sexual nature. Has handed over the analysis on sex hormones, as a result progesterone has appeared is overestimated. The gynecologist advised to drink Duphaston. ”